Kimberly KrigerManaging Director
She counsels senior management teams and boards, advising them on communications to a range of key stakeholders around complex financial and business issues, reputation/brand management and long-term positioning.
Kimberly has over 20 years of strategic corporate communications experience. Kimberly counsels senior management teams and boards and works closely with their legal and financial advisors on mission critical communications to a range of key stakeholders around complex financial and business issues, reputation/brand management and long-term positioning.
She manages a wide range of issues for global companies and brands, including complex, high- profile developments requiring targeted multi-stakeholder communications activities designed to protect or enhance reputations and inform and reassure audiences in periods of uncertainty, transformation and crisis. Kimberly brings deep knowledge of media, legal, regulatory and financial issues and processes.
In addition to the development and execution of strategic communications, executive and corporate positioning, and specialized investor relations programs, Kimberly brings an interdisciplinary approach to her work, with strategic messaging and strategies aligned with business needs, compliance and governance/ESG goals. She works with public and private companies across many sectors including TMT, consumer products, energy, industrials, edtech, media and entertainment, professional and financial services, and others, as well as with Private Equity firms, private schools and major not-for-profit institutions. Her international clients have been headquartered in Australia, Beijing, Hong Kong, Seoul, Europe, Mexico, U.K. and Russia.
Kimberly leads teams in crisis communications and preparedness plans, and has done extensive work developing and implementing successful strategies and programs related to crisis and issues management. She has deep experience in advising companies for Chapter 11s and restructurings, cross-border and transformational M&A (friendly and contested), and other capital markets activity, as well as in preparing for and managing issues related to high-profile business litigation, corporate governance and shareholder activism.
Prior to joining Kekst CNC, Kimberly worked for firms with interests in Russia and economic development. She has guest lectured at universities on crisis communications.
Kimberly received a BA in Political Science, cum laude, from Wellesley College and an MA from Columbia University’s Graduate School of International & Public Affairs, where she served on the editorial board of the Journal of International Affairs. Kimberly is a Board member of the Business Leadership Council of Wellesley College, the nonpartisan National Committee for American Foreign Policy, and the NYC Audubon Advisory Council.
Recent and Notable Relevant Experience
Strategic Counsel and Financial Communications
- Supports development of strategic communications plans and execution of investor relations activities, including around shareholder messages, quarterly reporting, ESG and sustainability areas, financial disclosures, investor days and meetings, transactions and other corporate financial developments for companies in a range of sectors.
- Advises leading Silicon Valley company on ESG shareholder communications.
- Refines and strengthens corporate narrative and investor messages of leading global ingredients company to support its strategy, outlook and approach to the markets.
- Created and executed new IR program including messaging for diverse stakeholders, quarterly CEO/CFO call scripts, slides and Q&A, press releases, analyst and shareholder outreach, annual meeting remarks, best practices audit and logistics support for public financial insurer.
- Supports energy Private Equity firm communications with LPs and portfolio companies.
- Advises on complex, high profile agreement to combine Xerox Corp and Fuji Xerox and opposed by largest shareholders; includes litigation, proxy fight, significant media outreach in U.S. and Asia; works closely with legal, banking and IR/PR teams in NY and Tokyo for Fujifilm Holdings.
- Provided counsel and materials for countering criticism from special interest groups and regulators of China Zhongwang USA’s attempted $2.3B acquisition of American aluminum manufacturer Aleris at time of concern about national security and trade issues; closely coordinated with Beijing/HK teams and U.S. legal counsel over 18 months.
- Advised on one of the largest oversees acquisitions by a Japanese insurer. Prepared materials to reassure U.S. stakeholders of StanCorp Financial about $5.5B acquisition by Meiji Yasuda.
- Built foundation of support for acquisition of Ingersoll-Rand’s iconic American brand Bobcat, enabling largest foreign purchase by Korean company at the time. Included significant communications to employees, communities and local/federal government.
- Advised Forbes Media’s majority ownership stake sale to a group of international investors, Siemens’ acquisition of Dresser-Rand, and Publicis Groupe’s acquisition of digital leader Sapient; supported Infineon, the German semiconductor manufacturer with U.S. PMI activities.
Crisis and Issues Management
- Reputation and business preservation plans and communications to support execution of voluntary global product recall for LVMH brand’s bestseller cosmetics product.
- Led team from PE firm and its popular fashion retail portfolio brand to help ensure smooth transition around simultaneous departures of brand’s co-founder and its CEO.
- Advised on litigation communications strategy and messaging on #metoo allegations.
- Developed and executed strategy for engagement with media, policymakers, employees and unions while navigating challenging political environment for manufacturer’s election year Mexico relocation layoff announcement and the strategic planning and successful rollout of the contested closure of South Carolina’s regulated utility nuclear plant construction project and sudden major layoffs.
- Managed stakeholder communications on leadership and organizational changes and Chapter 11 bankruptcy process for American Airlines. Created global program to reassure customers, suppliers, employees, regulators, et al. Ongoing communications during court hearings and throughout US AIR overtures/merger.
Corporate Restructurings and Insolvency
- With significant experience working on bankruptcies and restructurings, Kimberly leads client teams and provides expert communications counsel to support executives, boards and their legal, financial and restructuring advisors on some of the most complex restructurings.
- Created customized plans and messaging to maintain business continuity of concurrent pre-negotiated debt restructurings in France and U.S. of CGG S.A., and for the cross-border restructuring of AHMSA, one of Mexico’s largest integrated steel manufacturers.
- Extensive Chapter 11 and financial restructuring experience across multiple industries includes France’s CGG Holdings, Mexico’s AHMSA as well as Energy Future Holdings (formerly TXU), Atlantic City’s Revel Casino Resort, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Cengage Learning, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, School Specialty, AMF Bowling (and its subsequent sale to Bowlmor), MLB’s Texas Rangers, Ambassadors (Windstar Cruises), Natural Products Group (Arbonne), YRC Worldwide, Ener1, Aleris, Winn-Dixie Stores, Enron, Polaroid and Kmart.