Kathleen DevenyManaging Director
She has significant experience in crisis communications, shareholder activism and specialized investor relations, and conducts customized media and presentation training for CEOs and other senior leaders.
Kathy is a trusted advisor to CEOs and senior leaders and advises clients on key strategic communications issues. She has significant experience in crisis communications, shareholder activism, and specialized investor relations. She conducts customized media and presentation training for CEOs and other leaders.
She develops and implements communications strategies, including message development, media strategies and a wide range of stakeholder communications for clients in a wide range of industries, including financial services, technology, manufacturing, and professional services.
Kathy’s crisis communications experience includes high-profile litigation, cyber security incidents, labor disputes, product defects, product recalls, and plant closings. She works closely with clients to develop detailed crisis communications preparedness plans, and creates and presents highly interactive, customized crisis communications simulation training exercises.
She has significant experience in providing investor relations support to a wide variety of clients, including preparation for earnings announcements and other financial announcement, and other shareholder engagements. Kathy has supported numerous clients in the development and execution of investor days. And she has advised numerous companies on shareholder activism preparedness strategies and tactics, and has supported clients during activist campaigns.
Kathy conducts customized media, presentation, and crisis communications trainings for CEOs and other senior leaders. She recently developed and executed a crisis communications training program for a leading global industrials company, including crisis simulation exercises and media training sessions, for more than 270 senior leaders in New York, Connecticut, Indianapolis, Paris, Macau, Singapore, Shanghai, Delhi, Dubai and London.
Prior to joining Kekst CNC, Kathy had a 20-year career as a journalist. She was Deputy Editor of Newsweek, where she oversaw global business, economics and technology coverage for the weekly magazine and Newsweek.com. She created Newsweek’s influential “Green Rankings” franchise, as well as a weekly consumer-service section that covered health, personal finance, technology, food, and travel.
She was previously editor of The Wall Street Journal’s Marketplace page, and a staff editor for BusinessWeek.
Kathy holds a BA in Journalism from the University of Minnesota.
Recent and Notable Relevant Experience
Crisis and Issues Management
- Advised numerous companies across industries on special situations, including product issues, cybersecurity incidents, and litigation.
- Supported a consumer products company during one of the nation’s largest product recalls, including message development, scenario planning, and media strategy.
- Helped a U.S. manufacturer manage the repercussions of an announcement to move several thousand jobs to Mexico in an extremely challenging political and media environment.
- Supported a technology company during a prolonged cybersecurity issue caused by the NotPetya virus that paralyzed all company communications channels.
- Advised a top financial institution during a series of legal and regulatory challenges by the U.S. Department of Justice and other regulatory bodies.
Strategic Counsel and financial communications
- Advises a major airline on quarterly earnings presentations, including message development and presentation training, and Q&A coaching for the leadership team.
- Supports a home services company on quarterly earnings materials and presentations, as well as other financial announcements, including the spin-off of a major business unit.
- Supported a leading global supplier of technologies and systems to commercial vehicles, during the planning and execution of two investor days. Responsibilities included investor targeting, refining presentations, providing presentation training to the leadership team, and managing media coverage.
- Represented DuPont during a multi-year campaign by Trian Partners aimed at breaking up the company and gaining seats on the Board.
- Advised companies on activism preparedness strategies and tactics and supported numerous companies during activist campaigns.
- Develops and conducts customized executive training programs and regularly prepares CEOs and other senior leaders for high-profile print and broadcast engagements.
- Conducted a series of spokesperson training seminars for approximately 200 leaders and brand specialists at a leading luxury liquor marketer.
- Developed and executed comprehensive crisis communications training programs for a leading global industrials company, including crisis simulation and media training sessions for more than 270 senior leaders worldwide.
- Provided training for senior leaders and human resources professionals responsible for announcing multiple plant closings, including guidance for handling employee encounters.
- Prepared the entire leadership team of a data security company to engage with potential acquirers during a sale process.
- Helped executives at a variety of companies prepare for earnings calls, investor days and other shareholder engagements.