With a background as a transactional attorney, Daniel approaches each client situation through an analytical and interdisciplinary prism, providing unique perspectives and informed judgment for his clients.
Daniel advises a diverse group of clients on complex and often transformative situations. He leads many long-standing client relationships, and has deep expertise within a host of industry sectors, including: healthcare, energy, infrastructure and TMT. Within those sectors, Daniel primarily advises clients on M&A, crisis communications, litigation and regulatory support and, when need be, financial restructurings. Daniel is often called upon to advise clients on sensitive media undertakings for which there is no margin of error, as a client’s reputation could be compromised.
Prior to joining Kekst CNC, Daniel was a Counsel in the Private Equity M&A Group of Akin, Gump, Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP and, prior to that, was an Associate within the M&A Group of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates.
Daniel holds a BA in English and American Literature, magna cum laude, from Brandeis University, a J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, and a Certificate Degree in Business and Public Policy from The Wharton School. He is a Member of the Brandeis University Alumni Admissions Council.
Recent and Notable Relevant Experience
Mergers & Acquisitions
CVS Health on its $69 billion acquisition of Aetna, the largest transaction of 2017; Amcor on its $7 billion acquisition of Bemis; Layne Christensen on its contested sale to Granite Construction; Siemens on its $38 billion IPO of Healthineers, one of the largest global IPOs of 2018; Pinnacle Entertainment on its $2.8 billion sale to Penn National Gaming; Avantor on its $6.4 billion take private of VWR and related $7.75 billion debt financing package; Mead Johnson Nutrition on its $17.9 billion sale to Reckitt Benckiser Group plc; Specialty pharmaceutical company on a host of transformative acquisitions in excess of $8 billion; EMC Corp on its $67 billion sale to Michael Dell, MSD Partners and Silver Lake; Charter Communication on its $78 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable; EQT Partners on all U.S. based transactions and related global transactions, including its $2.4 billion public to private acquisition of Press Ganey, the purchase of Certara, majority equity investment in Global Gateway South Terminal at the Port of Los Angeles, and Clinical Innovations; Riverstone Holdings on all North American transactions, including the launch of Silver Run Acquisition Corp. I and II, and subsequent mergers with Centennial Resources and Alta Mesa / Kingfisher Midstream, respectively; Horizon Pharma on its $2.5 billion unsolicited proposal for Depomed and other platform acquisitions; Freescale Semiconductors on its $40 billion merger with NXP; NetScout Systems on its $2.3 billion acquisition of Danaher’s communications business; Vista Equity Partners on its $2 billion acquisition of Misys; Supervalu on its $3.3 billion sale of retail grocery banners to a consortium led by Cerberus Capital Management; Warnaco Group on its $2.9 billion sale to PVH; Parent company of PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker on its $4.9 billion sale to Amaya Gaming Group; Collective Brands on its $2 billion sale to a consortium of Wolverine World Wide, Golden Gate Capital, and Blum Capital Partners; Martin Marietta on its $5 billion unsolicited proposal for Vulcan Materials.
- Daniel provides counsel to numerous alternative investment firms on transactional matters, investor initiatives, fundraising, corporate positioning, and media relations.
- Long-standing clients which Daniel either leads or co-leads include: Avista Capital, CI Capital, Crestview Partners, EQT Partners, Five Point Energy, Kimmeridge Energy, KPS Capital Partners, Peak Rock Capital, Riverstone Holdings, Riposte Capital, Sageview Capital, Siguler Guff, SunTx Capital Partners, and Wynnefield Capital.
- Advising many public and private entities on their most timely and challenging communications objectives, including sensitive media endeavors and placements (proactive and reactive), implementation of shareholder initiatives, executive succession planning, and contingency planning for labor strikes.
- Litigation and regulatory support
- Advising numerous financial services organizations, investment technology firms, pharma/healthcare companies, consumer-facing organizations, and business executives in responding to governmental inquiries and private complaints. Has developed and executed communications programs to address regulatory inquiries, court proceedings, and settlements involving many agencies (i.e., the DOJ, SEC, FDA, FTC, DEA, DOE, FDIC, OCC, and OSHA).
Bankruptcy and Restructurings
Represented a host of public and private entities in connection with bankruptcies and restructurings, including Answers, Avaya, rue21, RadioShack, Heritage Home Group, American Airlines, Buffets, as well as numerous engagements on behalf of bondholders / lenders.