Mark A. SemerPartner
He is a trusted counselor to management teams and boards of directors of public and private companies, investment firms and non-profits on a wide range of corporate and financial communications matters involving all key stakeholders.
Mark has 25 years of strategic communications experience and maintains a diverse practice across many industries. He is a trusted counselor to management teams and boards of directors of public and private companies, investment firms and non-profits on a wide range of corporate and financial communications matters involving all key stakeholders.
Mark advises North American and international clients on a range of matters, including Mergers & Acquisitions; Crisis Communications; Restructurings & Insolvency; and Litigation & Regulatory Support. He has been active in many different industries with special emphasis on financial services, real estate, technology, consumer (including wine & spirits and food), healthcare and sports.
With significant experience in the Alternative Investment industry, Mark represents several investment firms with respect to their overall reputations and complex matters, including transactions, fundraising, performance and unique crisis situations. His relationship with investment firms often extends to portfolio companies that he represents in connection with important challenges and opportunities.
Throughout his career, Mark has served as an advisor to various non-profit organizations and their boards to which he brings the same high level of experience and expertise.
Mark serves on the New York Advisory Board of the Private Equity CFO Association. He is Past President of Young Israel of New Rochelle and is a member of the Wexner Heritage Program.
Mark holds a B.A. in Political Science from Columbia University.
Recent and Notable Relevant Experience
- Advises a number of leading alternative investment firms, including Behrman Capital, The Beneficient Company, Centre Partners, Falconhead Capital, Hicks Equity Partners, KPS Capital Partners, Kainos Capital, Odyssey Investment Partners, Riata Capital Partners and Turnspire Capital Partners.
- Represented KPS Capital Partners in, among other transactions, its acquisition of TaylorMade Golf from adidas, its $1.3 billion sale of Waupaca to Hitachi Metals, its more than $1 billion sale of Anchor Glass to CVC Capital Partners and BA Glass, and its sale of WWRD Holdings to Fiskars.
- Represented KKR for several years and handled high-profile and complex transactions.
- Represented Metropoulos & Co. in its acquisition of Hostess Brands, and its acquisition and sale of Pabst Brewing Company to Oasis Beverages.
- Tennenbaum Capital Partners in its sale to BlackRock.
- Southern Wine & Spirits of America and Glazer’s on their combination that created the largest North American wine and spirits distribution company.
- Vornado in the $8.4 billion spin-off of its Washington, DC business and the merger of that business with the operating company and certain select assets of The JBG Companies.
- Endurance Specialty Holdings in its $6.3 billion sale to SOMPO Holdings. Previously advised Endurance in its $1.8 billion acquisition of Montpelier Re Holdings, as well as its unsolicited bid for Aspen Holdings Limited.
- Health Management Associates in its $7.6 billion sale to Community Health Systems.
- Roper Technologies in its $2.8 billion acquisition of Deltek, its $1.4 billion acquisition of Sunquest Information Systems, and its $925 million sale of Gatan to Thermo Fisher.
- Martin Marietta Materials on its unsolicited proposal for Vulcan Materials Company.
Crisis and Issues Management
- Represents several companies in connection with a range of commercial litigation matters.
- Involved in a range of major Chapter 11 cases, including Texas Rangers Baseball Partners (debtor), Delta Airlines (debtor), Furniture Brands (363 sale buyer). Provided counsel to several firms in connection with NY Attorney General Andrew Cuomo’s investigations into pay-for-play in the Private Equity industry.
- Represented a major hospital company with extensive government investigations and litigation related to various billing practices.
- Advised a major financial services company with respect to its exposure to the Lehman Brothers Chapter 11 cases.
- Advised several consumer products companies in connection with product recalls.
- Advised Yeshiva University in its restructuring and on global communications strategies.
- Served as strategic communications advisor for the merger of five of North America’s leading Jewish day school organizations and networks to form Prizmah: Center for Jewish Day Schools.
- Represented Professor Deborah Lipstadt in connection with her libel trial in the United Kingdom.
- Advised several non-profit organizations in connection with unique crisis situations.