Ross A. LovernPrincipal
He is experienced in M&A, bankruptcies, activism, crisis communications, and litigation.
Ross is a Principal in the New York office of Kekst CNC. He has advised clients on the development and execution of communications strategies for a variety of unique, highly visible matters, with experience in M&A, bankruptcies, activism, crisis communications, and litigation.
Over his career, Ross has become a trusted advisor to a wide-range of companies (from Fortune 50 to start-ups) across nearly all sectors, helping clients put their best foot forward with a wide range of constituents as they undertake transformative decisions. Ross leverages his strong media relationships across major publications and geographies to advise clients in situations that require intense and complex media relations efforts.
Ross was named one of the top 10 “PR Rising Stars, and All Stars” by the New York Observer in 2016.
Ross began his communications career as an Analyst and Associate at Kekst CNC. Before re-joining Kekst CNC, Ross helped launch Gladstone Place Partners as a Vice President.
Ross holds a B.S. in Business from Skidmore College. He is a member of the Host Committee and mentor in the iMentor program and coaches youth soccer for South Bronx United. He is an avid New York sports fan.
Recent and Notable Relevant Experience
- Represented The Walt Disney Company in their $71.3B acquisition of 21st Century Fox; Dell Technologies in their $21.7B acquisition of Dell’s tracking stock; Andeavor Petroleum in their $23B sale to Marathon Petroleum; Publicis Groupe in its $3.7B acquisition of Sapient Corp; Hudson’s Bay Company in its $3.1B acquisition of a leading department store chain in Germany.
- Advised a number of companies involved in hostile acquisitions including Jos. A. Bank in an offer for Men’s Wearhouse, an unsolicited counter-offer and eventual transaction with an industry-leading multiple; Midstates Petroleum in their unsolicited attempt to purchase SandRidge Energy; Gentiva Health Services during a hostile takeover by Kindred Healthcare; The Cutrale Group and the Safra Group in a successful cross-border, unsolicited bid for Chiquita Brands.
- Provided counsel to YUM! Brands on the spin-off of its China business and in the ongoing implementation of its transformation plan.
Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
- Played a leading role in helping potential debtors navigate the multitude of communications challenges that distressed companies face as they approach, undertake or emerge from in and out-of-court restructurings, shaping the narrative at various critical points for companies with a range of stakeholders.
- Represented some of the largest debtors, including SunEdison in the largest bankruptcy of 2016; Energy Future Holdings in one of the largest bankruptcies by asset size; Walter Energy in its filing for Chapter 11, eventual sale, and reemergence as Warrior Met Coal; Radioshack in its 2015 Chapter 11 process; SquareTwo Financial in its filing for Chapter 11 and eventual sale.
- Advised companies in their cross-border restructurings, including Altos Hornos de México, the largest integrated steel manufacturer in Mexico, in their Chapter 15 filing and the Baha Mar resort in its restructuring proceedings in both the U.S. and The Bahamas.
Crisis and Issues Management
- Work with companies to manage a variety of special situations, including litigation, union issues, short selling, executive compensation, workplace misconduct, store closures, advocacy group activity, and social media-related incidents, among others.
- Representative situations include a leading materials science company in an ongoing environmental situation; a leading logistics company with sexual harassment allegations; a property and casualty insurance company in a public situation against a group of short-sellers; a leading telecommunications company in the aborted IPO of a business unit; a professional sports franchise during its dispute with Major League Baseball, its filing for chapter 11, and eventual sale; litigation brought by Elaine Wynn against her ex-husband and co-founder of Wynn Resorts, Steve Wynn; A financial services company in litigation brought by the spouse of a deceased executive.
- Advised a number of alternative investment firms on major announcements, such as acquisitions and personnel moves, and on their public profile.
- Representative clients include EQT, Corsair Capital, Greenbriar Equity Group, Centre Partners, Odyssey Investment Partners, Riata Capital Partners, Wellspring Capital Management, Marble Ridge Capital and Wynnefield Capital.