With 30 years of experience, she has led high-profile engagements in the areas of shareholder activism and corporate governance, corporate restructuring & insolvency, M&A and litigation support.
Ruth counsels senior management teams and boards of directors on complex business issues with communications challenges. With 30 years of experience, she has led high-profile engagements in the areas of shareholder activism and corporate governance; corporate restructuring & insolvency; M&A and litigation support.
Ruth helps senior leaders manage communications challenges where capital markets concerns or reputational vulnerabilities lead to the need for a greater understanding of financial, operational, and management strengths and business opportunities – often in connection with a corporate inflection point.
Strategic messaging, media relations, and complex financial disclosure/investor relations are cornerstones of her practice. Her work involves sensitive litigation, corporate governance, executive succession, and compensation matters. She is often involved in situations where shareholder activism leads to or influences the outcome of an M&A situation, building on significant experience in friendly, contested, cross-border, and take-private transactions.
Ruth also advises restructuring clients across a variety of sectors, including consumer brands, industrials, and financial services.
Ruth holds a BA in English, magna cum laude, from Wesleyan University and an M.A. in English with Emphasis in Expository Writing from the University of Iowa. She joined Kekst CNC in 1987. Ruth is currently Board Chair of the Union Settlement Association of East Harlem, a member of the Board of New York Youth Symphony, and the former Chair of the Wesleyan University Annual Fund.
Recent and Notable Relevant Experience
Shareholder Activism and Corporate Governance
- Notable situations across a range of industries and activists have included The Advisory Board Company, Compuware, Cracker Barrel, Dell, Fujifilm Holdings, PulteGroup, Yum! Brands, and one of the nation’s largest banks.
Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
- Represented major consumer brands such as RadioShack, Kodak, rue21, and Nine West; industrial companies such as SunEdison, Walter Energy, Lear, and Aleris; and financial services firms such as Capmark and SquareTwo Financial.
- Numerous cross-border situations are highlighted by: Fuji Xerox-Xerox; Baxalta-Shire; Meiji Yasuda-Stancorp Financial; Infineon-International Rectifier; Aleris-China Zhongwang; Publicis-Sapient; and Daimler-Chrysler.
- Represented KKR for more than 20 years, handling high-profile and complex transaction announcements and serving as its chief media spokesperson.
- Work to address communications implications of whistleblower suits and other employee-related litigation and concerns.
- Help with communications plans in the face of various federal and state inquiries from the SEC, DOJ, and State Attorneys General.
- Advise companies faced with violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, leading to a variety of disclosure, business practice, and oversight challenges.